Monday, February 14, 2011

New Kitten (~4-5 weeks) owner looking for nutrition guidelines and rearing advice

New Kitten (~4-5 weeks) owner looking for nutrition guidelines and rearing advice
I live in Bulgaria and a stray mackerel tabby followed me home for over an hour. I've had him since Friday and he seems healthy, but it is a pain getting him to eat consistently. I have to try different mixtures of hot water (the food is usually cold from the fridge), cow's milk blend, soft food, and kibbles (trying to wean her onto it.) I'm unsure how much kittens are supposed to eat, but I have a big can of soft food and I bought hard food for her today. She has teeth and I know that she can eat the kibbles, but she is just so picky. Also, the first couple days I gave her a mix of cow's milk and egg yolk because it's all they have in town. There is no such thing as animal shelters here and my "veterinary store" just sells basic supplies. My question is: is it OK to feed a 4-5 week old kitten only soft/hard cat food? I know kittens need more so I crush a cat vitamin in there with her food, but should I keep giving her the milk blend to supplement her early diet and as a replacement for mom's milk? I don't want her to be malnourished and she eats a few times a day, but when she does it's not a whole lot. When she is hungry, she meows, and I have to guide her to the dish b/c she waits for me. I know I'm not supposed to reinforce a needy meowing habit, but she's just a kitten!! Also, she hasn't even touched her water bowl! I know for a fact it's clean, but she's been eating the milk/soft/hard mix regularly and she even pooped normally (it was solid and dark brown.) If she was thirsty, she knows where the dish is. Since she poops normally, eats, has a ton of energy, naps, and pretty much seems healthy, should I worry about the water issue? Lastly, I don't want her to grow up lonely or socially inept and I keep reading articles about how 2 kittens are better than one. Unfortunately, I'm leaving Bulgaria after a year and I don't want to adopt another kitten only to give it away and separate it from the other cat, that's just cruel (especially leaving her in this country...) Is it really that important for my kitten to have a companion growing up? I try to play with her as often as possible and don't leave her alone for more than a few hours a day, and I try to time it so it's when she's napping. I'm going to look in nearby towns for toys and hopefully an accredited veterinarian....but a concept like "animal doctor" here is often an oxymoron unless you're talking about taking care of basic farm animals to exploit them as food. Welcome to the majority of Bulgaria. I'm going to take her to a vet that actually know what he's talking about. In Bulgaria stray animals are kicked, beaten, starved, run over, and most of all neglected and unloved. The road outside my house is a cemetery for kittens and I've seen infants squashed into the pavement with their faces screaming, so you can see why I wanted to adopt him. I think that's it. Thanks everyone!!! His name is Tabs and I hope he'll become like a brother/son someday. There's a ton to learn, but I want to raise him right and make sure he's healthy.
Cats - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Its always best to give them a milk supplement like from their own mother. Cows milk, if its straight from the cow is ok in small doses but if its been pasteurized its not so good for kitty and could cause anemia and dehydration. Try putting water in the dry food (kitten food preferably) so its a little mushy, if kitty can chew its great, if he just eats a little for now its ok, the water in the food will keep him hydrated. just watch him closely and make sure hes eating. If not your going to need to order a supplement. Good luck with kitty.




Read more discussions :






Search News