Sunday, November 7, 2010

What activities to do with exchange student staying with me

What activities to do with exchange student staying with me?
Next year i want the exchange student to stay with me, but we live in a very small town and i was wondeing what we should do with them? I live in AZ, so we will take them to the grand canyon, bu what else should we do??? My family is just my parents and i so i dont want to to get bored staying with us or anything like that. Just let me know what you think or what you would want to do if you were the exchange student. Thanks!
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It's great that your family will be hosting a student! My husband and I have hosted 5 so far, each for a full academic year. (We don't have kids of our own.) 4 of our 5 kids have been with Youth For Understanding (YFU), and I am a volunteer with YFU. For how long will the student live with you? May I assume that he/she will arrive in January? If the student is coming with an exchange organization (YFU, AFS, Rotary, etc.), he/she will be attending school, just like any other normal teenager. This will occupy much of his/her time. He/she will also be encouraged to become involved with extracurricular activities - perhaps join a sports team or at least join a club at school. It's probably a law in Arizona that you have to take visitors to the Grand Canyon - just like those of us in Wyoming have to take them to Yellowstone, so that is good. (Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic about it being a law :), but it's still a good idea.) Many programs offer optional trips for the students. If your foreign brother/sister wants to see more of the USA, he/she can go on those trips (at his/her expense). Remember that it's not your job to entertain or show the USA to the student, although it is very nice if you take them on normal family vacations. You're there to be his/her American family. In the beginning, it would be good if you (as host brother/sister) helped the student by introducing him/her to some people who might become friends and showing them "the ropes" at school, but after a few weeks the student should be making his/her own friends and finding a way to entertain him/herself. Treat him/her as would if he/she were actually your brother/sister as much as possible. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me. Have fun with the kid




Read more discussions :

Search News