Sunday, October 7, 2012

My notebook won't detect my network cable anymore on Vista x86, how do I fix this problem

My notebook won't detect my network cable anymore on Vista x86, how do I fix this problem?
5 days ago my internet connection stopped working due to Error 815: The remote server is not responding... Since then, I have tried almost every solution under the sun. I've changed the cable, I've reinstalled the drivers, I've deleted the PPPoE connection, I've tried logging on as Admin, and no luck. Ultimately my notebook (running Vista x86 Business) is no longer recognizing the ethernet cable at all. This happened out of nowhere during a storm and my network card is working fine according to device manager. I am positive it is not a problem with the cable and it seems it is not a hardware issue. I have tried almost every solution. At this point I may try a "crossover cable" but I live in Bulgaria at the moment in a small town and am unsure of their availability. What's strange is that I didn't need this cable before. The "remote server" here is another building that serves as a hub and my ethernet cord is plugged into a router on a telephone pole. HELP! Expert advice needed!
Computer Networking - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Have you tried to call your ISP provider maybe they have a problem on there server, not your laptop?
2 :
A crossover cable will not help, crossover cables are only for connecting two standard Ethernet cards (rather than an Ethernet card to a hub, switch or bridge) if you did not need this type of cable before you will not now and it will not work, it could even cause damage to components. The fact this happened in a storm does cause real concern that either the network card or the router (especially given the latter is attached to a telephone pole which subjects it to a high risk during storms) the Ethernet card can be damaged and still appear to be working fine, the cable detection is done by a very low voltage simple electronic circuit that runs from one end of the cable to the other should that have been exposed to electrical charges that occur in storms (even without lightning) it could well have been damaged meaning the card is working but cannot determine a cable is connected and thus sends no data. The same could occur if the cable detection mechanism in the router was subjected to a charge, or water, moisture, dust or a number of other atmospheric contaminants common in storms (changes in temperature can also produce moisture and contamination inside even a sealed unit) Especially if the router was not designed to be hung on telephone polls. Hope this helps you diagnose the problem, suggestions to help narrow it down: 1) Try plugging the cable into a different port on the router. 2) Try plugging the laptop end of the cable into a different computer (If 1 fails). As you have changed the cable it seams unlikely to be the cable which is at fault so those two tests seam the only way to narrow down the problem. If it works in the first case then the cable detection on that router port is broken, don't use it anymore. In the second case the laptop would have a defective cable detection or some error within the transmission subsystem which would not appear as the whole card being defective to the system (which only tests if it responds to test commands sent to it's PCI interface not it's Ethernet interface). Alternatively if neither 1 or 2 works then the likely cause is the router itself has become defective in which case that would need replacing (if possible try testing the laptop in place of some other PC which is known to be working well and see if it can connect). Of course there is the potential situation where both systems were damaged by a surge when one device failed.
3 :
i think the problem is the NIC itself, i had this problem before. the same case we're happened. i totally replaced my ethernet adapter and that's resolved my problem.




Read more discussions :

Search News